IATF 16949 STANDARD: EXCELLENCE IN THE AUTOMOTIVE SECTOR
IATF 16949 quality certificate is the gold standard for the automotive industry: it helps companies to improve their manufacturing processes and to ensure high-quality along the entire supply chain. It was born in 1999 from the cooperation among the most important car manufacturers – BMW, Daimler, FIAT, Ford, General Motors, PSA Group, Renault and Volkswagen – and has been officially approved by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO).
IATF 16949: mastering quality in the automotive industry
IATF 16949 is based on ISO 9001 and focuses on customers‘ specific requirements of customers in the automotive industry. In particoular it increases focus on continuous improvement, defect prevention and waste reduction in the supply chain. Some of the differences and additions introduced include:
- A greater attention to the customers, seeking to avoid defects and reduce variation and waste along the entire supply chain.
- The need to control even processes outsourced to external suppliers.
- The FMEA (Failure Mode and Effects Analysis) deployment for critical process phases.
- End-customer approval for any changes that could impact on the finished product quality.
- An increased focus on staff training, supporting motivation and empowerment.
- Developing a Contingency Plan to ensure the achievement of customer requirements, including in the event of service interruptions. Exclusion allowed only for Planning and Development, if duly justified.
- Distinction between Product Planning and Process Planning.
- Developing a mandatory Control Plan for both Product and Process.
- Enforcement of rigorous requirements for internal and external laboratories, with a focus on Measurement Systems Analysis (MSA).
- Developing a “Just in time” manufacturing system.
IATF 16949 Certification is open to all companies wich manufacture components and parts for the automotive industry, covering the entire supply chain process. Achieving this certification not only proves that the company passed rigorous control checks and meets the required standards, but it also offers many advantages. It helps improve internal processes and product quality, reducing the need of external audits and increasing ist credit in the acquisition of global contracts.
The added value of IATF 16949 Certification: Marco Valli’s view
Marco Valli, CEO of Mollificio Valli, shares his personal point of view on IATF Certification, stressing that for their company, obtaining this certification is not only a necessary requirement for serving the automotive industry, which accounts for a significant part of their turnover, but it is also a methed for internal processes continuous imrovement, increasing efficiency and reducing costs.
Mr Valli says: “We strongly wanted to achieve IATF 16949 Certification. As soon as it was introduced to the market, we thought of it as an opportunity to generate resources and continue to invest in improving our processes, acquiring new equipment and training our staff. For several years we have been allocating 5% of our global turnover for these projects.”
IATF 16949 Certification: a step forward for the global automotive industry
The IATF 16949 quality certificat standard is a key standard for the automotive industry, promoting continuous improvement, defect prevention and waste reduction in the supply chain. The Certification means rigorous control and compliance with standards, allowing companies to improve theyr product quality, reducing external audits and increasing credits in the global sourcing process.
Mollificio Valli Srl è una moderna azienda caratterizzata da una struttura agile e rispondente alle aspettative del mercato.
Guidata da un Management che riconosce il vantaggio competitivo derivante dall’unione di una costante innovazione tecnologica con quella di una formazione continua del personale impiegato.